External disks - why?
It is not uncommon to want to install sample libraries on an external HD. Benefits include being able to reinstall the OS without having to reinstall huge libraries, and also making sure the system's disk access doesn't interfere with sample loading (especially important for sample players that stream the audio from disk in real time.) Addictive Drums and Addictive Keys are comparably small (AD core library about 1.5 GB, ADpaks roughly 6-700 MB each, AK instruments around 1-1.5 GB each). Additionally, the samples are not streamed from disk - so you may very well keep your XLN Audio products on the system drive, which is the default. If you still want to use an external drive - read on!
How to install Addictive Drums, Addictive Keys or XO on an external drive
- Start the XLN Online Installer.
- Click the Customize Installation button.
- Under Installation paths there are tabs for Addictive Drums 2, Addictive Keys and XO (as well as a VST 2 (64 bit) path tab for moving the VST2 plug-in files if you are running Windows). Select your desired path/location, then click Apply.
(If you have a big installation, it may take a while to move everything)
- When it is finished, click Done.
- Take the opportunity to install any updates available to your products